Young boy rushed to hospital after contracting coronavirus

 proxy.yoo.workers.dev  10/17/2020 04:43:45   Eliza Mcphee
  • A young boy in Melbourne has been taken to hospital after contracting COVID-19
  • Victorian health authorities say they don't know how the child became infected
  • There are 17 mystery cases in the state after one new case recorded on Saturday

By Eliza Mcphee For Daily Mail Australia

Published: | Updated:

A little boy is in hospital in Victoria after falling ill with coronavirus as authorities scramble to figure out how he became infected.

The young child was taken to Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital and is being treated as a 'mystery case'.

Victoria's chief healthofficer Brett Sutton said on Saturday authorities were yet to determine how he had contracted the virus.

Health authorities are working to determine how a young boy in Melbourne contracted coronavirus (pictured, testing facility in Shepparton after an outbreak in the town)

The young child was taken to Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital (pictured) and is being treated as a 'mystery case'

'We haven't established the acquisition, so we'll go through that process, as well as finding out who might have been in contact in the 14 days before that child developed symptoms,' he said.

'There is no particular concern about childcare but clearly we're trying to look through all of those avenues around how that infection was acquired.'

Mr Sutton saidgenomic tracing would be used to help determine how the child was infected.

Victoria recorded just one new case on Saturday and currently has 17 mystery cases.

This followed just two new infections on Friday with the rolling 14-day average falling to 8.1 in Melbourne.

The average however, is still above the target needed for a widespread easing of restrictions.

It comes as Victoria recorded just one new infection on Saturday with a string of restrictions set to ease on Sunday (pictured residents walking in Carlton North, Melbourne)

Victoria has 17 mystery cases currently after reporting few cases in the last week (healthcare workers at testing clinic in Werribee, Melbourne)

Melburnians have spent more than 100 days under the state's strict lockdown with the city hoping to gain some freedom from Sunday with Premier Daniel Andrews to announce which restrictions will be lifted.

It is understood one of the rules eased would be increasing Melbourne's 5km limit up to 10km or 20km.

But Mr Andrews said the tough border between Melbourne and regional Victoria would remain.

The changes are expected to be more social rather than economic with pubs and bars to remain closed, with locals instead to be given bigger freedoms to met up with friends and family.

Australian Defence Force workers are seen at a drive-through testing clinic in Shepparton, Victoria on Thursday

Advertisement

Advertisement

DON'T MISS

more don'T MISS

« Go back