Edgewood, Maryland shooting suspect Radee Labeeb Prince linked to Wilmington shooting: cops

 cbsnews.com  10/18/2017 19:27:00 

EDGEWOOD, Md. -- A gunman opened fire at a Maryland office park just before 9 a.m. on Wednesday morning, killing three co-workers and critically wounding two others, authorities and the business owner said.

Radee Labeeb Prince was also involved in a later shooting about 55 miles away in Wilmington, Delaware, Wilmington police confirmed. Wilmington Police Chief Robert Tracy said a victim who was shot twice at a car dealership less than two hours after the Maryland shooting identified Prince as his assailant.

A manhunt is underway for the 37-year-old Prince, who is considered armed and dangerous. Wilmington police said Prince has an address there and relatives in the area.

Like the victims in Maryland, Tracy said Prince knew his victim in Delaware.

"This is targeted – this individual knew the people he wanted to go shoot," Tracy said. "This isn't a random act of violence."

Harford County, Maryland, Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler said earlier Wednesday that Prince shot his victims with a handgun just before 9 a.m. and fled the Emmorton Business Park in Edgewood, which is about 25 miles northeast of Baltimore. He said deputies were on the scene within four minutes of the report of a shooting.

The victims and the suspect worked for Advanced Granite Solutions, the owner of the company that designs and installs countertops told The Associated Press. Prince has been an employee for four months, working as a machine operator, owner Barak Caba told the AP in a brief telephone interview. Caba was shaken and would not provide additional details.


Radee Labeeb Prince, a suspect in a Wednesday workplace shooting in Edgewood, Maryland, is believed to be driving a GMC Acadia similar to the one pictured

Gahler said Prince was scheduled to work on Wednesday when he walked in and opened fire. He said he believes the victims were targeted, but couldn't speak to a possible motive.

"I don't think anybody anticipated an issue here today when he came to work," Gahler said. "I don't think anybody thought something like this would unfold here today."

Gahler said there were more than the five victims inside the building when Prince allegedly opened fire.

"My suspicion is, if he could have shot more individuals, this incident would have resulted in a greater loss of life," Gahler said.

The wounded were in critical condition, according to a spokeswoman for the University of Maryland Medical Center's R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, speaking during a break from a meeting of a state board, said the survivors had gunshot wounds to the head.

He said authorities had helicopters in the air and law enforcement on the ground looking for Prince, who was believed to be driving a black 2008 GMC Acadia with the Delaware license tag PC 064273.


The scene at Emmorton Business Park in Edgewood, Maryland where a workplace shooting was reporting Oct. 18, 2017

Tracy, the Wilmington police chief, said authorities received a call around 10:46 a.m. for shots fired at the Wilmington car dealership. He said the victim had been shot twice, but was alert and was able to help authorities link the crime to the Maryland shooting.

Delaware authorities had just that morning received a lookout alert from the Maryland State Police for Prince, who the Wilmington victim identified by name, Tracy said. Wilmington officers who were responding glimpsed Prince's car speeding away and attempted to give chase, but the vehicle was too far ahead and they lost it, Tracy said.

Tracy said Prince and the Wilmington victim have "had history together, had beefs together" through previous criminal cases, but wouldn't go into detail.

Prince has a lengthy criminal history, officials said. Tracy said he has 42 arrests in Delaware and 15 felony convictions. CBS Baltimore reports he was also charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm in Cecil County, Md.

The Baltimore Sun reports Prince was fired from another job earlier this year after he attacked a co-worker.

A former co-worker sought a restraining order against him in February, the paper reports. In an application for his request, the co-worker said Prince had punched another employee in the face and threatened employees.

The man said in his written application that Prince came back to the business several times after he was fired.

He said one time, Prince came to see him, and cursed and yelled at him. The person wrote: "I felt very threatened because he is a big guy and very aggressive on me."

The man said Prince did not get physical with him, but wrote: "I do not want to wait until he will."

A Harford County District Court judge denied the order.

Kevin Doyle, of Thornhill Properties, said he was getting tools from his truck Wednesday when he heard screaming and saw three men running from the office park. The men told him someone was shooting and he asked if they had called 911. They said no, even though, Doyle said, they had phones in their hands.

"I think they were just so scared they didn't (call 911). They had a look of terror," he said.

Multiple businesses in the area were reportedly placed on lockdown, which was later lifted. Several Harford County public schools in the Edgewood area were also placed on a modified lockdown early Wednesday, which was also later lifted. 

The FBI is assisting local authorities. Investigators were treating the shooting as a case of workplace violence and didn't see ties to terrorism, said Dave Fitz, a spokesman for the Baltimore FBI field office.   

Yellow crime scene tape cordoned off Advanced Granite Solutions on Wednesday afternoon. Investigators, deputies and federal agents fanned out across the business park to investigate.

Across the road, several employees, some wearing lime green T-shirts with the Advanced Granite Solutions logo, embraced each other as they waited for news of their colleagues. The sheriff said the department had set up a receiving area for family members in a nearby hotel ballroom.

According to online court records, Prince lived in Elkton - about 35 miles from the shooting scene - as recently as last month.

The sheriff said authorities checked an Elkton home after the shooting, but Prince was not there.

Gahler said authorities believe Prince acted alone is still driving the GMC Acadia. He pledged to leave no stone unturned in the manhunt and urged Prince to turn himself in.

"As much as you can be reassured in an incident like this, I'm reassured that we know who we're looking for," Gahler said. "But a suspect on the run can be quite elusive, and he's so far proving to be just that."

« Go back