Jilted lover kills masseuse over break-up in Dubai

 khaleejtimes.com  03/17/2019 15:32:40  7  Marie Nammour /Dubai

A man was charged at a Dubai court on Sunday for allegedly strangling a masseuse to death at a spa centre after she broke up with him.

The Court of First Instance heard how the 30-year-old Bangladeshi defendant went berserk as the victim, also Bangladeshi, to whom he had given Dh7,000, suddenly disappeared from his life and blocked him on WhatsApp. She had allegedly accepted his marriage proposal.

He denied a premeditated murder charge in court claiming he had no intention to kill her. He is also accused of stealing the woman's mobile phone.

The incident took place on December 16, last year, in Al Rafaa. The alleged killer was nabbed the following day.

A police officer said they got the suspect's picture from the spa centre building's CCTV cameras. "We tracked him down to his labour accommodation in Al Muhaisna. We took him to the general directorate of criminal investigation."

The accused recounted to the interrogators how he met the victim about one month prior to the day of the incident.

He came to know later the name of the spa centre where she worked.

A Chinese employee, 28, said the defendant visited their centre at 6pm. "He paid Dh160 to have the victim give him massage. After about an-hour-and-a-half, the defendant did not walk out nor did he ask for service extension."

The witness told the prosecutor he entered the room and saw the victim lying on the ground on her back. "Her head and face were covered with a towel. There was blood on her clothes."

During investigation, the accused confessed he killed the victim after she kicked him out of the spa. "He told her he wanted to have sex with her. But when she asked him for more money, he became mad. He strangled her to death for about 10 minutes until she bled from her nose. He fled the scene after stealing the victim's mobile phone," the police officer told the investigator.

The cause of death was breathing failure due to choking and neck strangling, as per a report from the general directorate of criminal evidence and criminology.

The trial will continue on March 31.

mary@khaleejtimes.com


Marie Nammour

Originally from Lebanon, Marie has been covering the Dubai Courts and the Public Prosecution, immigration and labour issues often, and the Dubai International Film Festival. A graduate from the Holy Spirit University of Kaslik, Jounieh, a city to the north of Beirut, she worked as an in-house reporter of international affairs at a leading TV station back home and a legal translator for a renowned law academy in the Lebanese capital. Speaks fluently four languages and is fond of travelling, psychology, learning more, and has grown by now a rich ‘criminal’ imagination...

Click/tap here to subscribe to Khaleej Times news alerts on WhatsApp. Make sure you save the phone number under Contacts on your phone for uninterrupted service.

ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
« Go back