Accused sex trafficker allegedly brought young woman to Canberra brothels from overseas

 abc.net.au  2/14/2018 10:27:49 PM   Jordan Hayne

Updated February 15, 2018 09:36:53

Police have arrested a 53-year-old Sydney man in connection with alleged people trafficking, saying the man intended to bring young women to Australia from overseas to work in Canberra brothels.

The man was extradited from NSW to Canberra yesterday and will face the ACT Magistrates Court charged with people trafficking, forced labour, sexual assault, and immigration offences.

The charges relate to one alleged victim, however police expect to hear from more women.

Detective Superintendent Scott Moller from ACT Policing said the arrest was the culmination of a six-month investigation.

"Earlier this week, with the assistance of Border Force and New South Wales Police, we executed warrants in Auburn, NSW, the man was arrested and he's been extradited to face these matters," he said.

"It's a serious and complex investigation, and it involves this male person actively pursuing females internationally, and transporting them to the ACT for the provision of sexual services for men."

Police believe the man brought the alleged victim to Australia, and then made her work in brothels.

Police said the man had been involved in the sex industry for "many years".

He said he expected more people would come forward.

"The brothels have been a number in NSW, and also a number of brothels in the ACT," he said.

"At the moment we're talking about one particular victim, but I'd like to hear from any other members of the public that may have information."

Topics: human-trafficking, law-crime-and-justice, courts-and-trials, canberra-2600, act, australia

First posted February 15, 2018 09:27:49

« Go back