USA TODAY’s Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week.
1. Unhinged: An Insider’s Account of the Trump White House by Omarosa Manigault Newman (Gallery Books, nonfiction, on sale Aug. 14)
What it’s about: The former Trump aide and pal, who left the White House under a cloud, serves up a tell-all.
The buzz: Gallery Books promises an “explosive, jaw-dropping account,” and it delivers.
2. Feared by Lisa Scottoline (St. Martin’s Press, fiction, on sale Aug. 14)
What it’s about: In the latest in the best-selling Rosato & DiNunzio series, the law partners face a reverse sex discrimination suit filed by three men claiming they weren’t hired because of their gender – plus a murder that hits close to home.
The buzz: “A sure bet for legal thriller fans,” says Booklist.
3. Scarface and the Untouchable: Al Capone, Eliot Ness, and the Battle for Chicago by Max Allan Collins and A. Brad Schwartz (William Morrow, nonfiction, on sale Aug. 14)
What it’s about: A dual biography of the Chicago mobster and the Prohibition agent who chased him during the bootlegging days of the 1920s and ’30s.
The buzz: “A fast-paced tale related with novelistic drama,” says Kirkus Reviews.
4. His Favorites by Kate Walbert (Scribner, fiction, on sale Aug. 14)
What it’s about: A teenage girl grappling with guilt over the death of her best friend is preyed upon by a charismatic teacher.
The buzz: It’s an Indie Next pick of independent publishers. “Excellent,” says Sheryl Cotleur of Copperfield’s Books in Sebastopol, California.
5. The Fighters: Americans in Combat in Afghanistan and Iraq by C.J. Chivers (Simon & Schuster, nonfiction, on sale Aug. 14)
What it’s about: The author tells the stories of six American service members he has followed over 17 years and two wars.
The buzz: “Has best-seller written all over it,” says Publishers Weekly in a starred review.
Read or Share this story: https://usat.ly/2ny1K5Y