Police have busted a $3 million fraud syndicate operating out of various locations in western Sydney including Villawood Detention Centre.
Four people have been charged with crimes ranging from hacking business emails, money laundering, romance scams and the selling of fake goods.
As part of a wider investigation by the state's cybercrime squad, Strike Force Woolana started a co-ordinated string of arrests and raids last week.
The first woman, aged 36, was picked up in Liverpool St in the inner city last Tuesday and charged with 11 counts of dealing with the proceeds of crime.
Police allege the Kingswood woman laundered more than $480,000 which was obtained by hacking business emails.
Her arrest led to search warrants being executed at a home in Kingswood and a storage unit at Hoxton Park, where police seized computers, hard drives, mobile phones, SIM cards and documents.
A Land Rover suspected of being a proceed of crime was also seized from a car park at St Marys.
The same day, police and Australian Border Force officers raided Villawood Detention Centre and seized more items.
The following day raids were carried out at Chester Hill and Granville, where similar items were sized along with methamphetamine, and identity and financial documents which are believed to have been stolen.
A 20-year-old man arrested at Chester Hill was charged with recklessly dealing with the proceeds of crime by laundering $17,000, possessing identity information and having a drug implement.
A woman, aged 20, also arrested at Chester Hill, was charged with knowingly dealing with the proceeds of crime by laundering $17,000.
A 36-year-old woman arrested at Granville was charged with drug possession.
After further investigations police and border force officers returned to the detention centre and arrested a 43-year-old Nigerian man yesterday.
During a search police seized 16 mobile phones, SIM cards, identification information and more electronic storage devices.
The man was charged with knowingly directing the activities of a criminal group and hacking business emails to steal more than $3 million.
ABF Detention Operations Commander Bill Ries said the force was committed to working with state police counterparts to ensure the safety and security of the detention network and to stamp out criminal activity.
“The ABF has been making the case for some time for powers to remove phones from detainees within immigration detention centres, many of whom have had their visas cancelled for serious criminal offences,” Commander Ries said.
“We know phones can be used to coordinate escape efforts, as a commodity of exchange, to facilitate the movement of contraband, to convey threats and, in this case, to organise significant criminal activity outside our centres.
“The continued use of phones in detention poses a significant threat to our staff, to detainees and the broader community.”
The Kingswood woman was refused bail to reappear at Downing Centre Local Court on November 1.
The two 20-year-olds and 36-year-old woman were granted strict bail conditions to reappear at Parramatta Local Court on October 2.
The Nigerian man was refused bail to reappear at Bankstown Local Court today.
Reports of online fraud can be made to the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or at a local police station.
© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2018