Missing Springfield 11-year-old girl found ‘safe and sound’

 bostonherald.com  01/16/2020 01:44:03   Rick Sobey

January 15, 2020 at 9:35 pm

An 11-year-old girl who was possibly abducted in Springfield Wednesday has been found safe, and a suspect is in custody, according to Massachusetts State Police.

Charlotte Moccia was last seen being “forced into a car” at 1:26 p.m., at the intersection of Princeton and Amherst streets in Springfield, Massachusetts State Police said.

After police issued an Amber Alert around 5 p.m., officers stopped the suspect vehicle a couple hours later and found Charlotte in the car.

“Charlotte Moccia has been found safe and sound, AMBER Alert Cancelled,” Massachusetts State Police tweeted at 7:41 p.m.

According to state police, one adult was in the car with the girl. That person, identified as Miguel Rodriguez, 24, of Springfield, is under arrest.

Police stopped the suspected car on the Massachusetts Turnpike eastbound in the Auburn/Sturbridge area.

“Troopers flooded the area after a motorist called 911 to report seeing the car,” Massachusetts State Police said in a statement. “The car was stopped in a work zone and Charlotte was recovered.”

Earlier in the day, police said a “white or Hispanic male was walking behind Charlotte and forced her into the back of an older model, dark blue or black Honda, possibly a Civic, with an unknown plate. Investigation indicates that the car was being operated by a white or light-skinned Hispanic female.”

Charlotte is being “checked out by EMS as a precaution,” police said. “She has no apparent injuries.”

« Go back